The National Brokerage Network supports the innovation and development of Support Brokerage, a Strengths Based Approach which is fundamental in the realisation of Self Directed Support.
The National Brokerage Network strives to achieve a world in which all people are free to make their own choices, express their individuality, pursue their dreams and live the life that they want to lead.
The aim of the National Brokerage Network is to provide strong leadership, drive and guidance in the development of Support Brokerage and Self Directed Support.
The National Brokerage Network achieves this through the provision of:
At the National Brokerage Network we:
The National Brokerage Network consists of members and organisations who are actively involved in the provision and development of Support Brokerage.
The National Brokerage Network forms a Sub-Committee of Imagineer, a social enterprise providing innovative solutions for Self Directed Support.
Independent Support Brokers who are members of the National Brokerage Network are committed to working within the NBN Independent Support Brokerage Quality Charter.
The charter sets out the key values and approaches which underpin our work as Independent Support Brokers.
• I will work with you positively
• I will not discriminate against you
• I will work with you as an equal partner and a fellow citizen to self-direct your choices and decisions
• I will work with you to address and overcome any limiting beliefs about what is possible and practical
• I will be honest, respectful, responsible and reliable
• I will work under your direction and instruction in a way which makes sense for you
• I will act quickly and carefully if I have concerns about your safety or wellbeing
• I will help you to understand your rights and responsibilities as a citizen
• I will work with you (and anyone else you choose to involve) to produce a written agreement for how we will work together so that everybody is clear about their involvement and responsibilities
• I will work with you to identify all of the things which make you into the person that you are, so that I understand you really well
• I will respect your views and values which come from your culture and/or your faith
• I will respect your choices and work with you without trying to take control
• I will help you to make decisions, only involving other people you have asked to be involved
• I will help you to say what is important to you and make sure we focus on that
• I will help you to explain what you want to other people, or speak up on your behalf if you would prefer
• I will help you to think about all of your choices and also your responsibilities to help you to understand any risks or barriers
• I will work with you in a suitable place which you have chosen, where you feel comfortable
• I will make sure you understand how to contact me; and that I understand the best way that you would like me to contact you
• I will listen to you and repeat information back to you to show that I have been listening; and to check that I understand what you are saying
The idea of Support Brokerage seems simple; helping people to find their way through barriers and complexities to a better life. However there has been a lot of confusion about what it should mean, who can do it and how it works. This important paper from the Chair of the National Brokerage Network provides a new starting point for Support Brokerage:
The publisher is The Centre for Welfare Reform.
Re-Imagining Brokerage © Liz Leach 2015.
All Rights Reserved. No part of this paper may be reproduced in any form without permission from the publisher except for the quotation of brief passages in reviews.
© Copyright 2021 Imagineer Development UK CIC | Company Number: 8243143